Recently ran across an article about DNA testing for Mental Illnesses. Scientist can now tap into your DNA to pinpoint the mental affliction to better diagnose and further treat properly. Anyone with a known mental illness understand the yo-yo, rollercoaster, that happens when they do their best to diagnose and treat. You’ll start on one medication 30 days or less, you’re back into see the Psychiatrist telling them “it’s not working” or “it’s making me such a zombie I can’t carry out daily tasks”. The zombie effect is why so many stop taking their medications. It’s all due to not being able to properly diagnose and therefore treat without trial and error.
Recently the Huffington Post tweeted “More than 8.3M Americans suffer from a #mentalhealth issue, but access to treatment is becoming more difficult.”
Genominds is now taking the guess work out of mental illness with its groundbreaking DNA testing for mental illness. They are now offering a simple test along with a Genecept Assay®.
Genominds says, “Testing with the Genecept Assay® can help patients feel better, faster. Up to half of all patients respond poorly to the first psychiatric medicine they try. That’s because everyone’s body is different, and how your body responds to a given medication is influenced by your genetic makeup, or DNA. The Genecept Assay® looks at key genes in your body that affect how it responds to medication.”
Genominds also reports that 87% of their patients showed improvement with treatment guided by the Genecept Assay®. They also reported improvement in 91% of patients who had failed at least two medications in the past.
So, how does the test work?
- 1. The test requires only a small sample of saliva, collected by swabbing the inside of the cheek with a cotton swab.
- 2. The physician uses a prepaid overnight shipping packet and requisition form to securely send the sample to Genomind.
- 3. The Genomind CLIA-certified lab performs the genetic testing on the sample.
- 4. An online patient report is delivered to the clinician within 3-5 days to help inform treatment decisions.
- 5. Genomind certified physicians and Pharm.D.’s are available to discuss each patient report with treating clinicians over the phone.
Genominds continues to say, “The test analyzes key genes, selected based on hundreds of studies showing that variations in these genes can inform treatment decisions. It is used to guide treatment for a range of psychiatric conditions including
- obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD)
- attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- bipolar disorder
- post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- chronic pain
- substance abuse
The clinician can use the report to help select the most appropriate class of medication(s) to use, as well as to help with dosing. The information in the report can help the clinician to choose medications that are more likely to be…
- have lower risk for side effects and adverse events
- dosed appropriately
How can I receive this test, you ask?
The Genecept Assay® is available for use by any licensed and prescribing clinician. Patients should discuss with their clinician whether the Genecept Assay® test is right for them. Please have your clinician contact Genomind directly to order test kits and/or to receive more information about testing.
After reading about this, I called Genominds directly to ask if Insurance covers and was informed that Medicare covers full cost.
I have downloaded the information kit to take to my Primary tomorrow! Who else is with me?
www.genominds.com 877.895.8658 email@example.com